5 Traditional And Beautiful Reasons Of Haldi Ceremony
- An Official Declaration Of Marriage
Haldi ceremony is conducted early morning on the wedding day at the house of the bride and groom. After this ritual, the guy and girl are officially declared as the groom and bride. Also, they are prohibited to meet or see each other until the wedding.
- Showering Of Blessings:
As per traditions, only married females are allowed to become a part of the Haldi ceremony and apply turmeric paste on the bride or groom. The reason behind such tradition is that married ladies shower their blessings for a happy and healthy married life on the soon-to-be couple. However, these days almost everyone be it the couple’s friends or brothers or sisters take part in the ritual and play Haldi Ki Holi to add in a dose of fun and laughter.
- Protect From The Evil Eye
Indian Vedas and traditions place a lot of importance to the concept of ‘evil eye’. It is believed that turmeric paste applied during the Haldi ceremony protect the bride and groom from any bad luck before the wedding date. Also, after the ritual, the bride and groom are not allowed to move out of the house until the marriage ceremony.
- Purification Of The Mind, Body, And Soul
As per Vedas, turmeric is considered to be a purifying agent which clean an individual’s mind, body and soul. It signifies an auspicious start for the bride and groom where the Haldi ceremony purifies their heart and soul.
- Adds Peace And Prosperity
Red and yellow colors are considered to be holy and auspicious. Therefore the bride and groom are required to wear yellow color clothes during the ceremony. As per holy scriptures, yellow color denotes the new beginning and bring peace and prosperity to their married life.
These are some of the traditional reasons for holding a Haldi-Kumkum ritual during the wedding ceremony. However, you’d be pleasantly surprised to know about other unique and fun facts which are often associated with the Haldi ceremony.
Haldi Ceremony Facts Which You’ll Be Surprised To Know
- It’s A Stress Buster:All the unwanted attention during the wedding preparations can become a source of stress for the bride and groom. Turmeric has an antioxidant called Curcumin which provides relief to the bride and groom from anxiety and wedding-jitters. It also works as a mild depressant and a natural remedy for headache.
- Help Bachelors In Getting Married:This has to be one of the quirkiest belief related to the Haldi ceremony. It is said that if the bride or groom apply the turmeric paste on their unmarried friends or family members then chances of them getting married soon are very strong. Now it is up to you to believe in it or not.
- Natural Antiseptic Properties:Haldi has been used since ages as a natural ayurvedic medicine to treat the common cold, infection and stomach ache. It also has antiseptic properties so when the paste is massaged during the Haldi ceremony, it cleans and purifies their skin from blemishes and dark spots.
- The Natural Glow:Like discussed above, since Haldi has antiseptic properties it helps in removal of dead skin from the face and leaves a glowing skin. It also said that the yellow color of turmeric helps in lighting the skin color, thereby making the bride and groom fairer.
How To Prepare Turmeric Paste For The Haldi Ceremony?
The Haldi paste is often made using grounded turmeric powder, gram flour, and milk. And this paste is used by girls all over the globe as a natural face pack for glowing and healthy skin. However, for a special day like a marriage ceremony, the turmeric paste should be special as well. Follow the steps shared below and your paste for the Haldi ceremony will be ready in no time.
Ingredients: Freshly grounded turmeric powder, sandalwood powder (Chandan), and rose water.
Method: Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients together to form a paste. It should be a little thick in consistency and not runny like water. In case you add too much of rose water by mistake, simply put some more turmeric powder to the mix. Your turmeric paste is all ready to be used for the Haldi ceremony. If required, you can also replace rose water with milk.
Haldi Ceremony Dress Ideas For The Bride And Groom
A major concern of many brides and grooms is regarding the dress which they should wear for the Haldi ceremony. Wearing too heavy outfits is of no use as they will get ruined from the Haldi paste and at the same time, opting for old clothes is not possible as they will be the center of attention.
Hence to sort out all the confusion, we present Haldi ceremony dress for bride and groom which will help save money and at the same time make them look worth a million bucks.
Haldi Ceremony Dress For Bride
Outfit: For the Haldi ceremony, it goes on without saying that you need to wear something which is Yellow in color, looks gorgeous and is made of light-weight fabric. The best option is either a yellow saree with zari work or a salwar-suit with Gotta-Patti embroidery.
Accessories: As Haldi paste will be massaged on your face, hands, and legs; wearing real jewelry is not at all recommended. The best option is to either wear floral jewelry or gotta jewelry. These trinkets cost very less and are currently in vogue.
Haldi Ceremony Dress For Groom
Outfit: For a groom, the best outfit option for Haldi ritual is a yellow or white kurta with a pajama. This is the best choice keeping in mind that the groom’s friends and brothers often tear the kurta for applying turmeric paste all over the body. Otherwise, you can also opt for a yellow colored Achkan or quirky Nehru jacket and pair it with yellow Kurta-Pajama.